Friday, May 16, 2008

What is a Deacon?

Well OK! That can certainly be answered in two ways. Noah Nabster, one of my great uncles, was named for his genius in catching just about anything. Kids -- while he was the best at catching rats, snakes and other rodents, his specialty was catching important knowledge. Some of you may think "Deacon" only means a handsome, black cat that serves around the church and writes this blog. OH, nay, nay. There is more to the name than just that.

One day my uncle sat me down and told me all about the real meaning of my name. It comes from an ancient language and means, "one who kicks up dust as he runs to help others." Pretty sweet, huh! A "Deacon" is someone who doesn't mind getting a little dusty, in a little hurry, to help someone in need.

In the Good Book, Mr. T was tellin' me that there is a book of Action called "ACTS" and it tells how followers of God in the first church needed some special "deacons" to help out so they chose out 7 and gave them this special job. Pretty Neat. I guess that's what all the talk this week. This First Church has chosen three, Doc Jeff, John and Chip to have this special job of serving and helping people.

I can't wait for Sunday Night! There's gonna be food too! See Ya There!

No comments: